10 Steps to Learn the Guitar Fretboard
for Total Beginners
It goes without saying that once you learn the guitar fretboard, life as a guitarist will be easier in every way.
If you follow these 10 steps and apply them consistently, you will be miles ahead of most in no time at all... Check them out!
There is a lot to say about the fretboard. Truly mastering it is no mean feat. But you will never do it if you don't start with a system that makes sense. So I've put together these 10 basic steps to learn the guitar fretboard that will change your status from total beginner to beginner-with-a-future in just a few days. Enjoy!
The 10 Steps
1. Stop feeling confused about it. Just do it!
2. Understand that when divided in half, a string produces the same note, but an octave higher.
3. Understand that there are only 12 possible tones on a guitar. They repeat in lower and higher registers, but a C is a C whether high or low.
4. Link tip 2 and tip 3 together: The octave is subdivided into 12 steps. Each is represented on the guitar by a fret. If you keep counting after 12, 13 will be the same as 1, but higher.
5. Understand the "distance" between the strings (the fancy word is intervallic relationship. Each pair of adjacent strings is separated by a perfect fourth, except for the 3rd and 4th strings. If you have problems understanding intervals, go back to that, and come back then ;-)
6. Learn how a major scale is played on any single string. For now it does not matter if it sounds good. Just focus on where the notes are.
7. Say the names of the notes out loud as you play the major scales we've just discussed.
8. Sing everything you play. This will engage your sense of hearing at a far deeper level. It will help you grasp the fretboard from an intuitive point of view.
9. Visualize all of what you have learnt in your mind's eye. Form a clear mental picture of it, and picture yourself going over all the steps. Practice this for 5 minutes a day, until the image is clear and sharp.
10. Download the free eBooklet 10 Steps to Learn the Guitar Fretboard to explore these concepts in greater depth. Discover strategies and exercises to really get the basics down, today!
Apply the 10 Steps to Learn the Guitar Fretboard
Apply this on your own!
Or, if you want a proven, systematic approach, sign up for our groundbreaking 7 week program:
Go back from 10 Steps to Learn the Guitar Fretboard to Beginner Guitar
Go back from 10 Steps to Learn the Guitar Fretboard to Guitar Theory in Depth
Copyright © 2017, Fretboard Addicts
fretboardaddicts.com & guitar-theory-in-depth.com